The Michigan Brewers Guild has just released “Michigan. The Great Beer State” – an annual marketing piece which spotlights the state’s microbreweries and brewpubs. The publication features a slick new look and loads of helpful information for novice and serious beer drinkers alike, including:
• A Michigan Beer Locator Map – listing 53 locations around the state, with a companion six-page listing of breweries complete with icons to identify the various amenities such as restaurant, live entertainment, outdoor seating and brewery tours. Eight different regional tours are also identified.
• A Guide to Matching Beer & Food – supporting an increase in requests for food and beer pairings.
• A Guide to the Purchase, Care & Enjoyment of Hand Crafted Beer.
• A List of Brewing Ingredients and Styles – identifying the difference between lager and ale as well as the four basic ingredients used to make beer.
• Clarification on Michigan’s legal definition of a brewery, microbrewery and brewpub.
• Details about July’s designation as Michigan Craft Beer Month – as well as dates for the 2008 Winter and Summer Beer Festivals.
• Details about the Michigan Brewers Guild – including information about purchasing merchandise and becoming an “Enthusiast Member” of the organization.
This year, 100,000 copies of the directory were printed and are available for free at all Michigan State Welcome Centers and at member breweries around the state.
Michigan’s thriving brewing industry contributes over $24 million in wages with a total economic contribution of more than $133 million. In terms of overall number of breweries, microbreweries and brewpubs, Michigan ranks #6 in the nation – thus supporting its claim as “Michigan. The Great Beer State.”
The Michigan Brewers Guild exists to unify the Michigan brewing community; to increase sales of Michigan-brewed beer through promotions, marketing, public awareness and consumer education; and to monitor and assure a healthy beer industry within the state. For more information, including a list of Michigan craft breweries, log on to www.michiganbrewersguild.org.